Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hannah's scribepost for Oct 5

October 5, 2010
Hi guys

So I was assigned to do question 5 a) of the textbook. Here it goes.

By the way, I might have done it a little differently. But as Backe had said, we're all going to Polo Park. It doesn't matter how we get there, as long as we all end up there. So,




As you can see, I've labeled the faces of this prism. A number for each face. (face 1, face 2, etc) Btw, sorry for the awful quality. Pretty much all I did was I calculated the surface area of each face, and then added them together at the end to find the total surface area. If this confuses you, there is an example and explanation of how this method works in page 28 of our textbook.

Now I made a chart to show the calculation for each faces. I hope you are able to follow. Feel free to ask me if it's really that confusing.





In case you didn't get the measurements, the distance between dots is 2 cm, not 1. When I checked at the back of the textbook for the answers, I found that the answer stated there is 216 cm² which is exactly half of the answer that I got. I think it may be that they've forgotten that each distance from dot to dot is 2 cm instead of 1. Or maybe I did something wrong, so tell me. That's all.

3 comments:

  1. Here's a short cut, you could pretend that there isn't any missing cube. Because if you look at it from front, side, and top, it would still have the same faces as a normal prism would have. Okie? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a good job of explaining how you got your answer although you added 3 extra faces, as seppe said, they would just be part of the front, top, and side view. That's why you got a bigger number then the one in the book. But other than that you did a good job :)

    ReplyDelete