Tuesday, October 5, 2010

JERICKS BLOG POST

HELLO FELLOW MATHMATICIANS
My name is Jerick and I am here to answer my assigned question for math



Annika constructed the shape shown out of centimetre cubes.
Assuming that there are no hidden holes, what is the surface area of the shape?

So here is what i did ..
They are saying don't pay attention to the missing cube
So all we have to do is find the surface area of the
Front&Back, Sides, and Top&Bottom
The easy way i thought of it was just basically counting cubes
So what I did was looked at the shape from the top, bottom, sides, front, and back.
Lets start with the front and back . If you look at it you see ..
Height = 3cm
Length = 4cm
2(lh)
2(3x4)
2(12)
24cm
Now lets do the Top and Bottom . If you look at it you see..
Width = 2cm
Length = 4cm
2(lw)
2(4x2)
2(8)
16cm
Now for the sides . For this I got a little confused because the height is 3 but it is also 2 , and the width is 2 but also 1 . So I did it the lazy way and just counted the cubes.
As you can see its just 5 cubes or centimetre and multiply that by 2 for the other side and you get 10 cm
Now you add it all up !
2 ( lw) + 2 ( lh ) + 2 ( wh )
16 cm + 24cm + 10cm
SA = 50cm2
Thank You for Reading this post , please comment and correct my errors.

4 comments:

  1. ..Or you could have simply counted your way through. But putting in the formulas in a great way too. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the sides, you could cut the shape into two pieces and find the Surface area of both and then add it. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shape is confusing because its curved. But good job on everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Jerick! It's funny how you showed how to do an easy way, cause when i do this cube centimeter stuff, i get so confused. You've seemed to finish this question in an easy matter. Confusing questions like this can get me working for a long time :S . Quote: "Annika constructed the shape shown out of centimetre cubes. Assuming that there are no hidden holes, what is the surface area of the shape?" I'm going in my head that since it says "there are no hidden holes" it gets me mixed up. I don't really know if the hole in the picture of supposed to be filled or not. But other than that, you've done an excellent job on your blog post!

    ReplyDelete