Thursday, October 7, 2010

Noelle Cuvos' Blog Post

We were all assigned questions from the textbook or worksheet that we had to explain how we did. Honestly I got a hard question that was really hard for me at first, so you may get confused with my further explanations, so in advance I apologize.

I was assigned question 16b. The question asks:
Sorry for the uneven drawing.. -___-"

Hey Noelle, what formula are you going to use ?!

Great question. Since we're looking at a rectangle, I think we need to use a formula like this one: LENGTH X WIDTH = SURFACE AREA -- or -- l x w = A


Alright, so i started by looking on the first side length, which is the top of the image. I simply found that the whole side is equaled to the bottom 2 side lengths put together to get the whole side length in total.

When you add the 2 lengths it'll look something like this:

3.8 m + 5.1 m = 8.9 m

So looking back at the formula, we have just found the width. So far we have:

8.9m x L = A

Now I think we should look for the length.
DISCLAIMER: This is the part where it starts getting a bit more tricky and confusing.

What I did to find the length was by using the pythagorean relation. The height measurement was 7.2 but the angle of the triangle on the side ends and doesn't go all the way. So what do we do ? Subtract that side length from 7.2 like so :

7.2 - 2.9 = 4.3

So with the pythagorean relation we must have another side of the triangle to find the hypotenuse.

Alright now this is easy, the bottom shows that obviously the second leg of the triangle is 3.9m.

DISCLAIMER#2: Okay , this is the part where it will be really hard to explain and even HARDER to understand. This almost made me cry, so here we go.

The pythagorean relation:
A^2 + B^2 = C^2 (Squared)

So substitute in our numbers that we found...

8.9^2 + 4.3^2 = C^2

Now according to BEDMAS, i first have to do the exponents. So now our equation looks like this:

18.49 + 15.21 = C^2

Alright, understanding this? Okay good. Now we continue with BEDMAS... Adding:

33.7 = C^2

Now we must find the square root to find the variable of C.
______
-\/33.7 = C

5.8m=C

L = C

5.8 = L

Are we done? NO ! We have the find the surface area silly ... So we now have the proper conditions to perform the calculations on this rectangle.

Once again, the formula is:
L x W = AREA

Lets substitute our numbers

5.8 x 8.9 = Area

DRUM ROLL PLEASE !!

51.63 m^2 = AREA

Alright, well that was my post and my equation. I hope you could understand my poor description of work. I tried my best, and really worked hard. Please comment with tips to make my next blog a bit better.

Also special thanks to ALVIN ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment