Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Brendan's Blog Post

In this blog post, I will be going over question #19 on page 61 in chapter 2.2.

This is what question #19 says.

19. A company made a profit of $8.6 million in its first year. It lost $5.9 million in its second year and lost another $6.3 million in its third year.

a) What was the average profit or loss per year over the first three years ?
b) The company broke even over the first four years. What was the profit or loss in the fourth year.

To answer question "a", I had to find the average of the profit or loss.
First, I ignored the word "million", and subtracted 5.9 from 8.6 and that gave me 2.7.
then I took 2.7 and subtracted 6.3 and that gave me -3.6 .
Since I had to find the average, I took -3.6 and divided it by 3, which gave me -1.2.
Then I added the word "million".
So the answer to question "a", is " The average loss per year over the first three years is $ 1.2 million".
You can use a number line to help you.

To answer question "b", I had to find what the profit was in the fourth year of business that broke even.
I answered this by taking -3.6 million from the last question (because that was how much the business lost in the first three years) and added 3.6 to break even . I just made 3.6 million zero pairs to get to zero.
You can also use a number line to help you.

Sorry for not adding colour and pictures. My computer will not let me. >=(

Please do not forget to do some 2.3 homework and play Tutpup ! (=

No comments:

Post a Comment